In the United States, Labor Day is a day to honor the workforce in America, and for many, the day also symbolizes the end of summer and the beginning of fall. With the long holiday weekend and busy fall schedules approaching, Labor Day weekend is a chance to have one last summer get-together with friends and family. Whether it’s a small backyard barbecue or a large gathering, one thing is for certain: food is needed. To make deciding what to serve at your Labor Day party easier, we have three great menu options to share with you that are easy, delicious, and perfect for Labor Day.
Sometimes when you’re hosting a party, you don’t really need a full meal, but you still want a little something for your guests. Other times, your party is fairly long, so you need a little more than a full meal. If you’re in either of these situations, hors d’oeuvres are perfect for you. Hors d’oeuvres, also known as appetizers, are the perfect amount of food to keep grumbling stomachs away, and they allow people to continue to talk and mingling because of their bite size nature. So, what hors d’oeuvre options are popular?
Hors d’oeuvre Ideas
- Cold Hors d’oeuvres: rolled sandwiches, cheeseball with crackers, shrimp cocktail, snack mix, chips and dip
- Hot Hors d’oeuvres include: chicken wings, meatballs, BBQ smokies, stuffed mushroom caps
When it comes to food for a Labor Day get-together, nothing beats a good old sandwich. Simple, but delicious and a favorite of many. To make it even better for you and your guests, take what would be a single sandwich option and turn it into a build-your-own sandwich bar. This alternative allows you and your guests to customize a sandwich to meet your tastes, and when you hire a caterer, you don’t have to worry about purchasing a large variety of toppings and condiments – they have it all.
Build-Your-Own Sandwich Bar Ideas
- Bread Options: white, multigrain, tomato herb
- Meat Options: turkey, roast beef, ham
- Fixing Options: cheese (Swiss, cheddar, American), tomato, lettuce, onion, mustard, mayo
Labor Day is the perfect day to spend quality time outside enjoying the beautiful weather, and there’s nothing that fits an outdoor gathering setting better than a picnic buffet. Picnics allow people to pick and choose what they want, and the food fits the atmosphere perfectly.
Picnic Buffet Options:
- Pulled Sandwich Buffet: This features pulled chicken in BBQ sauce served on a bun and various condiments. Side options to fit this dish include: beans, corn on the cob, kettle chips, potato salad, and coleslaw.
- All American BBQ Burgers & Brats: This option includes hamburgers and bratwurst hot dogs served on fresh buns and accompanied by sliced tomatoes, pickles, onions, mustard, mayo, and ketchup. Side options to meet the “All American” theme include: potato salad, coleslaw, and baked beans.
- Prime Rib Sandwich: Grilled choice prime rib sandwiches on fresh baked ciabatta bread with all the fixings… Yum! To finish off this main dish, include potato salad, pasta salad, cheesy red skin potatoes, coleslaw, fresh fruit, chips, and dessert.
Now that your mouth is watering with these delicious options, it’s time to pick what you would like for your Labor Day gathering. Remember, Labor Day weekend should be relaxing. If you’re planning a party, large or small, leave the hard work up to a caterer so you can celebrate the true meaning of the holiday. With a caterer, and one of the options above, you can sit it back, relax, and enjoy a much needed day off.